Shale Gas Infrastructure
Some of the Council’s recent shale-related achievements include:
• Forcing the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection to be more transparent in permit evaluations as part of a legal settlement.
• Forcing the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection to adopt US Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) definition of single-source determination.
• Assisting a group to formally petition the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) to complete air monitoring and a health assessment of a community living near a waste water impoundment. ATSDR accepted the petition and is currently performing the assessment
• Organizing a local group to advocate for and get better technologies for new compressor stations and other fracking infrastructure.
• Advocating for and achieving best practices for preventing air pollution at compressor stations and increased air monitoring at compressor stations. Some PA DEP regional offices are now starting to include these permit conditions into new plan approvals before the Council even has to suggest it.
- 1 of 14
- 1 of 8