Jobs and Internships
CLEAN AIR COUNCIL ATTORNEY POSITION
Job type: Attorney
Location: Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Schedule: Full-time or Part-time
Practice areas: Environmental / Energy / Land use
Application deadline: Post will be closed when filled
The Council is seeking a full-time or part-time attorney. The selected attorney will be expected to work on regulatory affairs, policy, and possibly litigation as needed. Should the position be filled by a part-time attorney, the candidate must demonstrate a high degree of proficiency in the qualifications listed below.
- Work closely with the Council’s outreach team to review a wide array of factual scenarios and develop advocacy or litigation strategies.
- Draft comments for submission to regulatory agencies in response to policy and permit proposals.
- Draft legal filings for new and existing litigation if necessary.
- Develop and implement policy positions and strategies.
- Provide legal advice to Council staff.
- Partner with the outreach team to help develop educational materials.
- Substantive legal knowledge and experience in some or all of the following areas of lawis preferred: Clean Air Act, land use and zoning law, administrative law, energy law, and the National Environmental Policy Act.
- Experience with the following agencies and forums is preferred: Pennsylvania courts,federal courts, Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board, Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, and the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- The ability to learn new areas of law and understand complex environmental issues quickly.
- Comfort and facility with working in a team composed of lawyers and nonlawyers.
- Admission to the Pennsylvania bar is preferred.
- A strong commitment to public interest environmental law practice.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Application instructions: Please download the full job description before applying.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Joseph Otis Minott, Esq. Executive Director and Chief Counsel, at joe_minott@cleanair(dot)org. (Please include “Attorney Application” in the email subject line, and all attachments should be formatted as "Lastname_Firstname_FileName")
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
The Council is an equal opportunity employer and has a strongly held belief in the importance of having a diverse workforce.
About the Clean Air Council
The Clean Air Council is a member-supported, nonprofit environmental organization dedicated to protecting everyone's right to breathe clean air. The Council works through public education, community advocacy, and government oversight to ensure enforcement of environmental laws.
The Council was founded in 1967 by a group of forward-looking community leaders, policy makers, and progressive business leaders. Headquartered in